Northpointe Family Dentistry

Will teeth whitening damage my teeth? Will my teeth feel sensitive if I whiten my teeth?

Teeth whitening using at-home bleaching trays as recommended by our office will not damage your teeth as long as you follow the provided instructions. Although you may feel some sensitivity (especially to cold things) while you are whitening your teeth, this sensitivity usually goes away in several days or weeks after you stop bleaching. Some options to minimize sensitivity include brushing with a sensitivity toothpaste that contains Potassium Nitrate up to two weeks before and during the time that you are bleaching. It is also important to follow the instructions and to remove the bleaching trays at the recommended time. Bleaching for longer will possibly lead to sensitivity. Sensitivity from whitening usually disappears on its own when you finish the whitening regimen.

Related Services